Hiccups can be disruptive while working and just plain annoying! Whatever the cause of your hiccups, you usually just want them to stop. Here are five strategies that may help halt those hiccups!
1. Hold your hands over your ears- According to the Mayo Clinic, hiccups could be caused by something as simple as a stray hair in your ear that’s touching your eardrum. Calming the nerve endings here can throw off the hiccup pattern.
2. Suck on a lemon soaked in non-alcoholic bitters-According to a letter in The New England Journal of Medicine, this treatment cured 14 out of 16 people with hiccups.
3. Breathe into a paper bag-It increases the carbon dioxide in your system and may stop spasms.
4. Guzzle a warm glass of water-The theory is that the warmth soothes and relaxes the diaphragm.
5. Swallow a spoonful of sugar-Eat a teaspoon (5 mL) of sugar, a tablespoon (15 mL) of peanut butter, or a teaspoon of honey. The sticky sweetness may change the rhythm of your breathing, which calms the vagus nerve.