Exciting research suggests that the brain responds to music almost as if it were medicine. It may regulate some body functions, synchronize motor skills, stimulate the mind—even make us smarter.
What Music Can Do for You
Clinical studies and anecdotal evidence from music therapists suggest that the sound of music:
- manages pain
- improves mood and mobility of people with Parkinson’s disease
- reduces the need for sedatives and pain relievers during and after surgery
- decreases nausea during chemotherapy
- helps patients participate in medical treatment that shortens hospital stays
- relieves anxiety
- lowers blood pressure
- eases depression
- enhances concentration and creativity
The best part is that to take advantage of music’s healing power, you don’t need to take a prescription to your local music store. You don’t even have to go to the music store at all. The home remedies you need are probably already in your music collection.