Mayo Clinic has provided a healthy sandwich building list for your next quick meal! Choose from the healthy options below to jazz up the typical PB and J!
To build your healthy sandwich, choose one or more from the following:
- Turkey: Roasted, sliced, diced, shaved, shredded — or substitute any lean protein
- Whole grain: Sliced bread, bun, roll, tortilla, pita, ciabatta, baguette, focaccia, naan, English muffin, bagel, flat bread, cracker
- Spread or relish: Mustard (regular, hot or sweet), low-fat mayonnaise, cranberry relish or other fruit spread, hummus, honey, pesto, peanut butter, salsa, low-fat refried beans, BBQ sauce
- Toppings: Lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, peppers (sweet, hot or spicy), celery, radishes, cucumbers, herbs, apple, pear, grapes, raisins, chopped nuts
- Preparation method: Traditional (layered), toasted, grilled or panini style, roll or wrap, stuffed, open-faced, salad-filled