Millet provides a host of nutrients, has a sweet nutty flavor, and is considered to be one of the most digestible and non-allergenic grains available.
12 Health Benefits:
1. Millet is alkaline and it digests easily.
2. The Hunzas – who live in a remote area of the Himalayan foothills and are known for their excellent health and longevity – enjoy millet as a staple in their diet.
3. Millet will hydrate your colon to keep you from being constipated.
4. Millet acts as a prebiotic feeding microflora in your inner ecosystem.
5. The serotonin in millet is calming to your moods.
6. Millet is a smart carb with lots of fiber and low simple sugars. Because of this it has a relatively low glycemic index and has been shown to produce lower blood sugar levels than wheat or rice.
7. Magnesium in millet can help reduce the effects of migraines and heart attacks.
8. Niacin (vitamin B3) in millet can help lower cholesterol.
9. Millet consumption decreases triglycerides and C-reactive protein. Scientists in Seoul, South Korea concluded that millet may be useful in preventing cardiovascular disease.
10. All millet varieties show high antioxidant activity.
11. Millet is gluten-free and non-allergenic. A great grain for sensitive individuals.
12. Millet’s high protein content (15 percent) makes is a substantial addition to a vegetarian diet.
Self Magazine has published a great article on kicking your habit of drinking diet soda. You may be thinking diet soda is a healthier option opposed to the original kind, but Self Magazine wants to prove to you that this is not the case! Read up and educate yourself on how much that diet soda habit is affecting your everyday health!
5 Great Reasons To Kick Your Diet Soda Habit!
We hope you have been enjoying the various topics regarding health and wellness in our posts! We have decided to create our own gear for you to show your support of My Better Self! Wearing My Better Self products can be a reminder to focus on health, wellness, fitness and inspiration in your life! Our water bottles are great for the gym and our journal can help you keep track of your daily improvements. Keep checking our site for additional posts and information with tools to becoming a better you! Check out our online store here!
A resourceful article provided by MSN Health has come to the rescue if you’re having trouble catching zzz’s. The solution could be as close as your kitchen. Sleep is crucial to your health and not getting enough of it can put you at a greater risk of heart disease and cancer. If you’re having trouble falling or staying asleep-try natural forms of sleep remedies rather than turning to prescription sleep drugs. Listed below are five natural sources of increasing your nightly shut eye.
1. Cherries. All cherries are high in melatonin, a compound that makes us sleepy. If your not into the pit-filled cherries, go for the juice as a quick and tasty source of your cherry fill.
2. Fish. Certain fish and sea creatures contain sleep-inducing tryptophan including: shrimp, cod, tuna, and halibut.
3. Carbohydrate/Protein Combos. Many of us have heard of the warm milk trick, being that milk contains tryptophan. The key is to combine carbs with a protein containing tryptophan to help your body better utilize the sleep inducer. Try pairing a cup of whole grain cereal with organic milk before bedtime.
4. Lemon Balm. The lemon scented member of the mint family has been a sleep-inducer for ages. It has also been known to better digestion and decrease agitation. Try making lemon balm tea by steeping 1-2 teaspoons of the dried herb into 1 cup of hot water.
5. Other Herbs. If you’re not into the lemon balm, try other herbs as natural sleeping aids. Simply 4 tablesppons of sage, chamomile, valerian or other sleep-induced teas can be found at grocery stores either pre-bagged or by measuring your own.
Spring and Summer pollen sensitivities can bring your outdoor workouts to a halt if you find yourself wheezing and sneezing. Prevention Magazine has published an article from the assistance of Stanley Fineman. Fineman is an MD, president-elect of the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology. Follow these four tips below to minimize your allergy suffering while enjoying the beautiful outdoors.
Time your exercise: Most pollen counts peak mid-afternoon, so mornings or dusk work outs are the best times of day to hit the trails.
Watch the weather: Rain cleans the air of pollen, and wind stirs it loose from trees and up from the ground. Pollen counts are also higher on hot days versus cool ones.
Rinse off afterward: Pollen can attach to your clothing and skin, so shower after your workout. Toss clothes into a hamper that also contains a lid.
Drink more water: An extra 8 ounces a day can help you breathe easier by thinning mucus in your airways.
Sometimes we forget how important it is for us to exfoliate our skin. Skin exfoliators can be bought at convenience stores or can even be made at home with simple ingredients lying around the house. Skin exfoliating is a great way to remove dead skin cells while providing a smooth after feel. Keep your skin looking young and vibrant with this easy to make exfoliant recipe:
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon almond oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp ground oatmeal
1 tsp cinnamon
Combine all ingredients. Scrub face with mixture 2-3 minutes then rinse. For additional recipes to natural facial scrubs and exfoliators follow this link!
Are you tired of the typical microwaved oatmeal for breakfast? Sure it’s nutritious with its fiber and heart health benefits, but try switching up the everyday oatmeal with this delicious recipe called “Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal”.
What You Need:
2 cups rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup apple sauce
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbs unsalted butter, melted
1 large apple (a tart apple works well) peeled and diced
1/4 cup raisins
*Optional – pecans, walnuts, dried cranberries
1. First, peel, core and dice your apple and soak your raisins in boiling water until they are plump, drain them, and then set both the apple and raisins aside. Preheat your oven to 350 deg F, and spray your baking dish with cooking spray (8x8inch pan).
2. Next, in a large bowl, mix together oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In a different, smaller bowl, whisk together the milk, apple sauce, egg whites, melted butter and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir well. Add your diced apples and raisins.
3. Pour the mixture into your baking pan and bake for 20 minutes, until the oatmeal turns beautifully golden brown and no longer jiggles in the center. Serve warm on its own, with some milk or fruit!
This is a perfect breakfast to start your day that is loaded with flavor and filling to keep you going!
A company known as Fitbit has challenged traditional ways of tracking your fitness and activity. Fitbit has created a wireless activity tracker to put your daily routine to work towards your fitness goals. Fitbit’s Ultra contains a highly accurate 3-D motion sensor that measures steps, calories burned and distance traveled while you exercise. Fitbit’s wireless activity tracker can also track your sleep patterns to see how long and well you slept. The data from Fitbit’s device can be uploaded wirelessly to the company’s website where you can see graphs, set goals and join groups at no monthly fee. The activity tracker is discreet and comfortable to wear all day long that can be worn in your pocket, clipped to your pants or shirt, or even connected to a wristband. The device also allows you to sync with other popular fitness apps on your mobile phones. For $99.95 you can order a fitbit wireless activity tracker. Check out their website here at: www.fitbit.com.
Are you looking for yoga gear that is cost-efficient and high quality? Check out www.yogadirect.com. Yoga Direct is the internet’s leader in high quality yoga mats at factory direct prices. Yoga Direct is the largest direct importer and manufacturer of quality yoga equipment in the world! From mats to foam blocks to fitness balls, Yoga Direct has it all! Yoga Direct even sells the premium brands like Yogitoes, Dragonfly and Thera-Band products. Check out their website for amazing deals you can order online or via telephone. Yoga accessories can get extremely expensive, but they are surprisingly affordable when you shop from Yoga Direct.